The pet travel scheme (PETS) allows dogs, cats and ferrets to travel through the EU and certain other countries based on a passport, microchip, rabies vaccination and certain pre-travel checks.
The system has changed over the years but currently only has a 21 day wait from rabies vaccination to travel with no post vaccination blood testing required.
With the unending uncertainty over Brexit plans we currently can’t give an answer to what is going to happen come October 31st 2019.
We all hope that we might know very soon, but personally i’m not holding my breath!!
If there is a NO DEAL BREXIT the following video explains what the process will be (as our previous posts have suggested).
If you are planning on travelling with your pet in the next few months and ARE NOT already up to date with ID chip, rabies vaccine and titre test, a no-deal Brexit almost certainly ruins those plans.
If you are planning on travelling with your pet in the next few months and ARE already up to date with ID chip, rabies vaccine and titre test, you are all prepared for a no-deal Brexit. You will need to come and see a suitably qualified vet prior to travel for a pet health certificate (costs will apply, to be confirmed) and then can enjoy your trip!
There is “more information” here;
This may be familiar to those of you who read this before the April Brexit dates, its the same situation all over again! We still don’t know, we are still having lists of “what if”.
Anyone who hasn’t had a rabies titre test will need to read on.
With the potential of a requirement for blood testing 3 months prior to travel and vaccination to have been given a minimum of 30 days prior to that, there will be a big question mark and lots of guessing for the next couple of weeks before an official decision and taking the safest option for your personal plans if you wish to travel in the first few months after “Brexit”.
If you need to travel November 2019, December 2019 or before 19th January 2020 and you aren’t ready, it may be too late to do much about it. Hope for a deal or delay!
If you plan to travel between 19th January and 1st February 2020 and already have the rabies vaccine completed by 30 days or more, either blood test ASAP to give a 3 month window, or be prepared to change you plans.
If you have not had the rabies vaccination yet, travel before the end of February 2020 will require a deal or delay.
If the is a BREXIT DEAL, nothing will change regarding pet travel (we are led to believe……!!!)
We will update this blog as soon as more information becomes available.