We have had confirmation that vaccinations can now continue and we are starting to get caught up with the back log, reminders are starting to flow again but are a little behind. We are transitioning to mobile text alerts rather than paper postcards so do need to have your up to date contact details. There are some general guidelines from the manufacturers that we are going to follow to try to allow a safe working environment for our staff by delaying some booster vaccinations for a short period where possible.
We are now carrying out puppy and kitten primary vaccination courses as well as rabbit and horse vaccinations.
We will also be offering cat and dog booster vaccinations but we will be trying to spread these across our sites to avoid too much footfall at any one practice, please don’t be offended if you are offered a slot at a different branch to usual, we are trying to manage workloads the best we can.
We are getting much more back to normal with booking vaccinations however we aren’t quite back to full speed yet. Dogs and cats having their FIRST annual booster should receive this close to the 12 month mark, we will minimise any delay between request and appointment date for these animals. We will also prioritize at risk dogs; dogs due DHP this year; working dogs; farm dogs; regular swimmers; terrier breeds and those with reduced immune systems.
It has been advised that dogs and cats will not need a full restart of the vaccination course if they are up to 3 months late from their booster date, however we would prefer to stay on the side of caution and aim to keep delays as short as possible. For anyone self isolating, you can make full use of this 3 month window if you prefer not to send your dog in with someone else.
Rabbit vaccinations can be done as normal, but we have been advised that the split between Myxo-RHD and Filavac (RHD-2) is no longer needed but is off license, we can give them at the same visit.
We may offer you an appointment at one of our other branches other than the one that you usually attend if we are unable to accommodate you at your usual practice. Please bear with us if this is the case as social distancing and safety is the reason behind this.
Horse vaccinations can continue, but there will need to be a discussion with the practice regarding safe distancing at the time of the vaccination. We are in discussion with the manufacturers for any horse that missed its booster in the initial lockdown period regarding restarts, but as there is no testing data available, neither the manufacturers or relevant equine bodies are willing to allow any extension to the vaccination periods so a restart will be required.